Sunday, June 18, 2006

Pruning the plum tree


It's that time of the year again where fruit trees need to be pruned. I am first to say I am not the foremost expert on tree pruning, but I do get large fruits off the plum & apricot trees each year. So today I pruned the plum tree completely and started on the apricot tree and gave up for the day at the half way point.

Pat gave me a pair of ratchet secateurs for my birthday last year and with using these I was able to prune for longer.

I had Pat take a couple of branches out to open up the plum tree a bit and I removed the branches that were crossing over and then cut the tree height by a third.

It was lovely out in the winter sun gardening and we had animals everywhere. Ducks were watching what I was doing and I had the Manny & the chooks out on parole. Amy let her guinea pigs run around on the lawn for a while with Nibbles before being put into the playpen with Flossy.

Flossy and Cadbury were in their outside cages. The birds were each positioned on a corner of the clothes lines enjoying the sun and talking and chattering amongst themselves.

I took a break for a morning cup and then once the BBQ was ready to be eaten.

To me pruning is relaxing and rewarding and when finished can stand back and say I did a great job. The only thing that was disappointing was I don't own a garden shredder. So I have to send the tree pruning off the place to dispose of them.


Who's got contacts with Management??

Cadbury's babies were sold yesterday, so she's a single bunny again. Flossy is camping over with Nibbles for about 3 weeks and then she'll hopefully be well and truly pregnant.

No comments: