Saturday, July 08, 2006

The meaning of "FREE"


Worm castings to be used when planting out the seedlings I bought the other day.

When I go to a plant nursery, Bunnings or anywhere garden products are sold, I always like to see what other people are buying. I guess it makes me sound like a sticky beak but I am amazed at what people buy for their gardens.

I cringe at the poisonous sprays and double bonus packs of artificial fertilizers loaded up in their trolleys. But this is their choice and not mine.

But what amazes me is the products they buy that can be made at home in the backyard, even if living in a small unit and have only a tiny garden.

I've seen people buy these products and listened to their plans as they chat among themselves while waiting in line to pay for it all. So it's costing them $$$$ when it can be free.

I'm talking about a worm farm, be it as flash as a bought farm like my two or a cheap broccoli foam box set up on a plastic dish for the worm liquid to drain into.

My 2 worm farms are a very important part of how my garden is run and that the castings feed my plants. I am a firm believer that the soil needs to be fed to substain the plants growing life and at the same time feed and keep the soil healthy.

The worm castings give each seedling a extra boost of power to get them going at planting time. Making for healthier plants and this means better resistance to diseases that can attack your plants when not healthy.

With the out lay of a farm (if wanting to go this way) is around $80.00 and can be bought at some shops where they have 15% off sale days, to make them cheaper still. A new worm farm will come with a peat moss brick for soaking and this is the worms bedding. Worms can be bought from most good nurseries, Bunnings and K-Mart in the garden section. A small box is big enough to get you going, this cost is between $20.00 to $30.00. Or you might know someone who can give you some worms for free.

You can also make a farm with a foam box or a plastic rubbish bin or container. Check your local paper for second hand ones. Does your council run a scheme where they will help you purchase a worm farm at a cheaper price???

Then all you have to do if feed them your kitchen scraps, minus onion, citrus, meat, dairy & oily foods. Paper can be added, animal bedding (check for ants though) brushing you dog or cat daily or weekly....... Into the farm it can go. Just about anything that was alive once can be recycled again in your worm farm. Mine love the boxes the pizzas are delivered in.

What a great way to recycle and not send the rubbish to land fill and at the same time save you $$$$ at the shops. My worm farms have now been going for 7 years and I have given away so many worms to friends to help start off their farms.

So why not join in and help recycle, make the planet to bit healthier and save some money all at the one time.





No comments: