Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Prickly Weed


Found this weed in the no-dig garden and I am thinking it may have come from the sheep manure. It's the one & only weed of this kind in the garden and this one will not be fed to the animals or composted.


Check out those spikes where new leaves either grow or a new stem shoots off the main part on the plant.

What caught my eye with this weed was how lush and green the leaves are. The leaves are so glossy and if I hadn't been watching what I was doing, I would have grabbed the whole plant with my hand and those spikes would have made a nasty introduction to me.

So a word of warning, always look at what you are touching in the garden and wear gloves. These spikes would have still pierced my skin, but would have been worse if I had bare hands.

I don't know the name of this weed and I would love to know.

If you know, please leave a comment and tell me:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewwww...nasty!

Looks like a Bathurst Burr to me.

Lucky-1 said...

Hi Susan:)

Correct.

Yes I had an ID come through this afternoon. I was going to post an update on it but you beat me to it. I found 2 plants in the no-dig garden. That plant in the photo and a smaller plant.

Now in the green waste bin.

melissa said...

bathurst burr . nasty blighter .get rid of it straight away ..and yes , i'd blame the sheep poop !

yes i did change the blog ..flet a update was needed ..thanks for commenting !