Tuesday, November 07, 2006

New Look Website.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been giving my website a new look by moving away from using FrontPage to using Dreamweaver as my website program.

I have found this to be very exciting and challenging at the same time. My brother Mick has been helping me, by giving a few lessons and then sending me home with a list of things I needed to do.

The main pride and joy on the new site is the template with a drop down menu on every page. This is just so cool as now you don't have to go to the home page to select another page to view. Also any links away from my own website now open in a new window.

I have to be honest and say Mick did most of the work on the drop down menu. Which I am very grateful for him doing. Then like a trusting brother he sent me home to finish off some pages and that is when I did the unthinkable.

I clicked on the "Animal" link and stuffed it up big time. Boy was I upset and feeling so guilty about this. A tip here.... never send your sister home with a template and not have her sign in blood.... "I shall not bugger it up".

So back to Mick's we went and after he waved his magic computer mouse a few time (really I think it was more than a few times) we had the template fixed (well he did) and then I was asked to repeat the linking of all pages to the now fixed template.

So there you have it, 2 full Saturdays and a couple of hours last night, bonding with each other and this included sharing a meal of hot fried takeaway chips one day, as it was taking longer than what we though and another day where we had a planned lunch at his place....... a new fresh looking website was born.

I love it as I can now have the freedom to have pages structured how I want them. There are new pages added like "What's Growing", "Harvesting", "Photos" and "Flowers". I won't have to remove a page here to add a new page there, thanks to my new web hosting company I have gone with. As the new web hosting company has given me way more space for the same price I was paying for 10MB on the old web hosting site.

If you haven't been and had a look at my main website lately, you are invited to go and see it now:)

Still some updating to be done, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments: