Saturday, December 30, 2006

Dangers For Animals

Gardens can look beautiful, feed a family, become a habitat for animals or a trap for animals.



This little gecko was found by me tonight stuck to the yellow sticky white fly trap. Couldn't believe it when I saw it glued to the sticky trap. First time I have ever had this happen, feeling ever so awful about it happening I was relieved to find the gecko still alive.

Then came the problem, how do I remove it and can the lizard be removed safely from the sticky sheet?


With care and using my nails to lift the lizard gradually while Pat held the yellow sticky sheet, we managed to remove the lizard without leaving any of the body or skin behind.

Next problem was the stick glue stuck on the lizard's underside. His little feet were sticking to his tummy making moving impossible. So all I could think of was to sprinkle dirt on his underside and see if this worked. By dusting him down and rubbing dirt onto his body I am hoping this will help to stop the sticky glue catching his legs and feet to his body or him to a fence.

To protect him, I put the gecko under the raspberry canes. This seemed to do the job and once he was over the shock of the whole incident he took off. When I checked after feeding the animals he was gone.



Couple of days ago we were having breakfast out the back and Pat spotted a bird hanging from a tree limb in our native frangipani tree. The poor thing was being attacked by the local magpies that haunt our area.

So out came the ladder and up Pat went to rescue it. Now I am pretty sure this is a poxy feral free loading black bird. If it's an Australian Native bird I apologized.

But either way neither of us had the heart to knock it on the head. So after a couple of snap shots for the blog, our little bird was set free to fly off without a thank you.

Closeup of the black cotton that had caught the birds around it's legs and then tangles in our tree.



So even if backyard are beautiful to look at, there maybe some danger around the place for animals great and small.

No comments: