Thursday, March 29, 2007

Worms, Worms And Yes Worms

I can never say enough good things about having a worm farm in my backyard. I think every garden should have a worm farm, not only for recycling kitchen scraps and reducing landfill waste. Worm farming is a gardeners secret gold mine for their garden.

My first worm farm was when we lived in a rented house, using a broccoli foam box. I wasn't sure if I would keep up the farm and wanted to try and do it as cheap as possible.

After we bought this house and my interest in gardening in the vegetable area grew, the foam box was replaced with the first of my two farms.

Now my worm farms are a valued part of my garden in feeding plants as they grow. I have also lost count of how many people I have helped start up their own farms.

Today was by the moon cycle planting, time to plant out the leafy greens.

So today I planted out

  • loose leaf lettuce
  • rainbow chard
  • broccoli
  • cabbage
  • cauliflower
  • leeks
  • spring onions
  • baby spinach



Worm castings can be collected different ways. My preferred way is to remove the lid and let the worms escape further down in the castings. I always use disposable gloves when handling the worms and their castings. Not so much I am worried about a worm latching on and sucking the life out of me, but more so my skin oils harming the worms.

I lightly scrap off the castings into a ice cream container so that I can use the harvested castings while transplanting seedlings out.



Every seedling that is transplanted out into my garden is given a small amount of worm castings in the hole under the roots. Castings are gentle enough not to burn the delicate roots of seedlings.

Worm castings have so much goodness in them, that leaving it in the sun will suck all the goodness out of those wonderful castings. So if you use the castings in the garden, make sure soil is covering it, to keep the sunlight of the castings.

Worm wee is another bonus for the garden. It's collected and stored in containers with lids (keeps the mozzies out) . I use a clip on 2 ltr container attached to the hose (full of worm wee) and spray it over the garden. Plants respond well to this and I swear by it.

I see people buying worm castings and worm wee at the nurseries and for a little bit more time and money, they could have it on tap in their backyard and reduce kitchen and garden waste.

I have on my main site posted photos on today's plantings. Lots of long shots to show you where the seedlings were planted out. Also a photo of some curl grubs and Clancy cleaning them up out of my hand.

Technorati technorati tags: , ,

2 comments:

Kimble said...

Not to mention worms are just neat ;-)

Lucky-1 said...

Oh you are so right there Kimble:)