Monday, April 02, 2007

Pesky Birds


Wire barrier has been removed from around the root crops and I have done a light thinning with mostly the turnips. Carrots are very tiny but can been seen in the photo. No sign of the parsnips germinating as of yet.



Peas are starting to shoot and the birds have found the young shoots. So wire that was used to protect the root crop is now covering the pea area. Once the peas are big enough the wire will be removed and the trellis wire pulled down for the peas to climb.


Pat helped me measure the width of my only eggplant, 135 cm wide (53 inches) and it's still growing and producing fruit and flowers.



Different angle of the eggplant, lots of flowers can be seen. Going to leave the bush in over winter and prune it back when the warmer weather and new shoots sprout, if it survives the winter months.

Lovely fruits growing, gave some to my sister who called in late yesterday afternoon. Deb has never tried eggplant so she went home with 4 and cooking instructions.

Going to sow out today, "Hawkesbury Wonder" a dwarf green bean. Sowing is till late summer and last year I had a good harvest of late sown beans. Going to see if that was a fluke or if it's worth doing annually.

Technorati technorati tags: , ,

2 comments:

Petunia's Gardener said...

Hi Lucky-1,
Thanks for visiting me at Petunia's Garden. I can see you are going to be an inspiration for fall planning! I'll also love visiting your critters.

Lucky-1 said...

I enjoy reading your what is happening in your garden:)

Glad you love visiting my animals as well.