Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Special Cake

Today is a special day for me as it's the day before Pat's birthday. Why is it special, you wonder?

Back when Pat lived in Melbourne as a young lad in his teens and early 20's, his Aunt would cook him a boiled fruit cake for him on his birthday. Then when he moved back to Whyalla, his mum took over the role his Aunt had started.

For the last 24 years I have been cooking his birthday cake.

Pat said the first boiled fruit cake I made him, wasn't all that flash, but after 24 years I have it down to pack now.


I use duck eggs when cooking cakes, the eggs give a good texture, taste and there isn't any sinking of the cake as it cools down.



Finished cake cooling on a cake rack.

Even though I make this cake through out the year, this "special cake" is for Pat and who ever he wishes to share it with.

Both Amy and James also receive a cake for their birthdays like this one. Just so they feel special too.

I have placed the recipe for your own use, on my "Garden to Plate" blog.


Technorati technorati tags: , ,

No comments: