Sunday, August 05, 2007

Flossy In The Vegie Patch.


Often when I read on the forums or a blog about someone having a problem with a feral rabbit eating their vegies, mine are out the back running loose in the garden.

Flossy is my 5 year old doe and she's a good girl when it comes to the garden. She eats what ever she wants and is easy to catch. Not like Cinnamon my other little doe, she tends to zip under the rainwater tank when it's time to go home for the day. This makes for a frustrating time as sometimes it's dark before Cadbury is caught.



After a snack on some rather yummy organic leaves off the broccoli and turnips, Flossy decided to check out the area where the spuds are to be grown. The soft soil made for some fun time digging.

Then time to have a lay down and rest for a while, before going home to a clean hutch.



Having rabbits is a joy as well a bonus for garden lovers. Their bedding is laced with urine and poop which is just great when added to the compost bins. I also add it straight to the garden and use it mostly in the no-dig area as a top up.

I have found the bedding doesn't burn the plants and honestly the plants seem to thrive on the bedding waste.

Rabbits are also great for eating up those left overs from the garden. Root crops that have become a bit woody and root crop tops are a big favourite as well as broccoli leaves and stems.

In their hutches are a piece of fruit tree about the length from my elbow to my hand. This is for them to chew on and help to keep their teeth at a manageable level. Also a chewy salt lick from the pet shop is there for the rabbits to chew on.

The best part for me having rabbits is cuddling them biggrin it's calming and a stress release.

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , ,

5 comments:

Rhonda Gay said...

Oh how cute she is I wish I could have a wabbit. But up here it's a $35,000 fine if your caught.

Libbys Blog said...

Lovely bunnies! I say lovely, I am not keen on them but, they are lovely to look at!!!!

Lucky-1 said...

Oh I have always adored bunnies.

$35,000 fine huh..... gosh that is steep.

lasilasi said...

love yr bunnies!! i am new to gardening - worrying whether my newly planted lemon tree and apple tree will survive this winter or not (and i havent prune them yet!)

Lucky-1 said...

lasilasi there are some wonderful garden forum out there, that can help you.

Check them out. I have a link list on my blog.

If the trees are only newly planted. Only a tip prune is really needed, if that at all.