Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Planting Spuds

Today was a hectic day for both Pat & myself. Starting with a walk to the local train station as Amy is using our car while hers is in the workshop for the week.

Once in the city we did what we had to do, including a trip to Central Market for some items like coffee beans from a coffee shop and some gorgeous herb and garlic soft cheese the owner makes himself. This is a treat for me on crackers when I veg out.

Then we looked for a bus stop we haven't used before and caught a bus to our local Bunnings Warehouse for this season's potatoes.

I love going to plant nurseries and Bunnings as there is just so much to look at and wish for. I tend to call Bunnings "The Toyshop" as there are lots of beaut toys there for the handy man or woman and green thumb gardener. cool

From when we got off the bus, looked round Bunnings and then walked home in an awful wind that had come up: time was 70 minutes.

When home we had a cuppa and then a walk to the local IGA around the corner as I forgot the apricot nector and French onion soup mix to go with the chicken for tea.

Then home again and out to plant the spuds as today was the day for it if following the moon phases. Not enough time to plant out carrots, radishes and beetroot though. Tomorrow is another day.



Scored these 2 little black passion fruit vines for $1.90 each. Even if 1 dies, I'm still out in front. Tomorrow I'll give them a feed of seasol and then look at the moon chart and see when these plants can be planted out into the garden.


The main reason we detoured to Bunnings was for seed potatoes for this coming growing season. This is the second time I have grown spuds, last time was 4 years ago when I started the no-dig garden on some of the back lawn.

I chose Pontiac and Nicola because that was about all they had left for sale. lol

Pontiac

  • Boil/Mash: Excellent
  • Boil/Salad:Good
  • Dry bake: Good
  • Roast: Good
  • Fry (chips) No

Nicola
  • Boil/Salad:Excellent
  • Boil/Mash: Good
  • Dry bake:Good
  • Roast:Good
  • Fry (chips): Fair
This isn't a problem with only having these to pick from as I have a great range of what I can do with them in the kitchen.

Certified seed potatoes are in my opinion the only way to go when growing spuds in the backyard. Yes you can use the spuds from the fortnightly shopping trip, but you are risking bring diseases into your soil. Is this really worth the trouble, after all those years of keeping diseases and bugs out of the garden and growing organicallyquestion



Soil ready for the spuds, in the soil is a wonderful larder of sheep manure, green manure, worms and compost. Its been rotting down and resting, ready for the growing months ahead.

The first time I grew spuds on the lawn, the manure, compost and sheep manure was underneath the spuds resting on newspaper sheets. This time the soil is rich and will feed the spuds.



I can't help myself I have to recycle as much of anything I can around the house. What a great way of getting rid of all the shredded paper I have collected from the house/office area. By the time the spuds are harvested the paper will have rotted away and at the same time keep the spuds clean.



Blood & bone is spread over the paper and soil to help break down and feed the spuds as they grow. Then the paper and blood & bone was watered with rainwater in a watering can, mixed with worm wee to give it a head start.



Spuds were spread out and as some spuds were smaller than others some were placed a bit closer together. I made allowances near the wire fence as the ducks were getting all excited and poking their heads through to see what the could nick and eat.



Now all that duck and rabbit litter was spread all over the area to keep the light out. This area will continue to be added to as the weeks and months go by.

So hopefully we'll have a great harvest towards Christmas time.

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Donna said...

I haven't followed the moon planting thing but I've been planting spuds too just because its a good time, August seems to be the month in the tropics for that Christmas crop and my Diggers seed potatoes arrived last week. I've been reading an Aussie book called "The Organic Gardener" by Jeffrey Hodges who actually uses his potato patch to start off a no dig garden. As attractive an idea as that was, I was out at Bunnings yesterday collecting supplies of cow manure and straw and cardboard boxes to put down first. It's an expensive way of starting a garden bed in suburbia but it is reliable and I don't infest the place with nut grass or other nasties.
No idea if the Great Potato Experiment will work - I live in HZ 14 and CZ 11-12 - but its worth the effort. If all else fails I will have a Wet Season garden bed ready by Christmas.

Susan said...

Looks great Lucy! Has given me an idea for the part down the side of my house near my water tank...hmmmm I htink I will pop spuds there now, this looks too easy :)

Lucky-1 said...

I am lucky enough to have a free supply of sheep manure and the animals I have in my backyard are a big help to me.