Monday, October 01, 2007

Tomato Area

It's a long weekend here in South Australia and I usually plant out my tomato seedlings this weekend. Been doing that for the last 8 years on the October long weekends. But with moon planting I don't plant the seedlings out until Sunday 7th to Tuesday 9th of next week.

So today my plan was (note was) to prepare the area and let it sit until ready for use.





This is the area I have picked to grow the tomato, capsicum and eggplants over the summer season. Been a few years since this plant family was grown here.

First job was to cut the pea plants, leaving the roots in the ground for nitrogen and removing the trellis with the peas, to the duck run.

One trellis of peas was still going strong, so only 1 trellis was removed today. Where the peas are growing, eggplants will be planted out there next month, when the nights aren't likely to be too cold.



Chooks put to work again today with tiding up the pea trellis and eating the cabbage leaves along with the ducks help. All the greens thrown over the people fence, should make for some lovely yellow egg yokes in the days to come.

Last time this soil was turned over was back in March, so it had compacted down with my walking over the soil. Also the area had turned more towards clay soil, making it hard for me to get a pitch fork into the soil and turning it over.

Said to Pat I was thinking of turning this area into a no-dig garden, as I don't have the strength in my legs any more for digging large areas over. Pat came to my rescue and using a dust mask to protect his lungs, he turned the area over.

Took him a while to do it, with a couple of rest breaks, but we got it done. While Pat turned the soil, I collected the weeds in the tomato area and also weeded the new carrot/beetroot area as well the turnip/radish area.



This plant surprised Pat as he hasn't seen it for 21 years, where it was sown as a feed over the winter months on a sheep station where we lived . Sheep were then turned out over the crop for them to eat in early spring.

Pat said it's called "Snail Clover". We only found 3 or 4 plants in the area we worked on and we have no idea how it got into our garden. The only thing we can think of is, a bird dropped a seed in the garden through it's droppings.



All done and this is where we had to stop. Tomorrow we are out shopping and we'll call into Bunnings and pick up some gypsum to help break up the clay. So I figured I'll add the winter compost and a couple bags of manure when the gypsum is added. Then it all can be turned in at the same time.

The afternoon was spent sitting out the back in our new garden rest area, after a BBQ for lunch. Reading gardening magazines and drinking cold cool drinks or coffee, listening to Hotlips a Sussex bantam who lays the only egg in the world. Got news for her haven't we lol

Also James came round and spent the afternoon with us.

So I didn't get as far as I wanted today. But that is okay, I'll be back out in this area on Wednesday to finish it all off. Garden is looking FAB TAB and new summer crops are going in, filling up empty areas.

Until next time....hoo roo




Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Hi Lucky-1, it's fun to read that you are going to sow your tomatoes whereas I have just pulled them out and put the last green tomatoes in a bowl with a ripe banana and covered with a tea towel so that the tomatoes can ripen too.

I garden on heavy clay too so I know how hard the digging can be. Luckily my under-gardener is willing to do most of the digging for me. ;-)

Lucky-1 said...

Hi Yolanda

Yes I had a few blogs I visit and they were growing summer vegies in the overseas countries and I was in winter.

Its fun to see what is happening in other countries and what they are growing.