Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Seed Saving


Today's photo is showing you how the spring onion flower is starting to give up those beautiful black seeds. This flower has been cut off the actual plant and now drying in a dish, in a safe and dry place.

I have been saving my own spring onion seeds for a few years now and I find this not only rewarding but also satisfying. Also past harvested seeds have been sent to other gardeners in seed swapping.

Saving seeds from my garden has taken me awhile to start, as I wanted to get to know growing vegies before I took the next step.

By have more understanding of my vegie patch I was ready to take the next step.

Saving my own seeds is a great way of developing a stronger strain of plant as these seeds are grown to the conditions of my garden.

Carrots are what I am learning about this season and I am keeping a close eye on the carrot flowers.

Also loose red leaf lettuce is going to be left go to seed, as I want to continue to grow these lettuces without buying these seeds again.

Seed saving is a great way to also save money as I am not forking out money to replenish my seed stocks.

In future seasons I am hoping to broaden my range of seeds not only for saving money but the pride in being more self sufficient with my vegie patch.

I started out by reading articles on the internet and borrowing books from my local library. Once I found the book I wanted to have in our bookcase at all times, I bought it and use it as a reference in learning this new and exciting stage in vegie growing.

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , ,

6 comments:

Lucy C said...

Which book did you decide to use as your reference book?

Lucky-1 said...

Hi Lucy:)

The Seed Savers Handbook

ISBN 0 646 10226 5

I ordered my through the Diggers Club

Kirsty said...

I've been trying to save seeds for awhile but I always forget to write down what they are? I have carrots where my fennel should be!!

Lucky-1 said...

I'm letting the parsley go to seed and I'll transplant the new seedlings around the garden and feed the left overs to the rabbits.

Patrick said...

I just came across your blog. It's nice to find another blogger who saves their own seeds.

Lucky-1 said...

Hello Patrick, thanks for dropping in and reading my blog. I'm slowly saving more seeds as the years go by. Taking little steps and hope to soon be able to save even more.