Friday, December 28, 2007

Banjo's A Mum Again



First 2 of Banjo's babies to hatch out. Still 4 eggs to go, 3 are pipping as I post this here. Banjo is a funny thing, she didn't mind me picking up her babies, just didn't like me putting my hand near her eggs.

Both are just so cute though I do love the little black & white one.

Said to Pat I'll take the babies away and give them a drink and then return them to Banjo. Not the best weather outside for hatching babies, very hot indeed.

Have you ever held a duck egg while it's pipping? Putting the egg to you ear ever so gently and listened to the "tap, tap" of the little egg tooth, as the duckling chips away at the shell? Hearing him/her peep and talk to mum as they work away at the shell. I can tell you it is mind blowing and can make your eyes sting with wonder.

Holding an egg in your hand and feeling life entering this world is a humbling experience. I can't explain how it feels to have the egg move and flex in my palm. Feeling new life struggling to enter the world is amazing. I am always careful not to touch the open area of the shell.

I'll update you more than likely with a new count of baby ducklings tomorrow. If all goes well it will be 5 or 6 all up.

Until next time....hoo roo


Technorati technorati tags: ,

3 comments:

Ali said...

The little dicklings look so gorgeous!! I hope the remaining eggs hatch successfully :)

I need orange said...

I never have held a pipping egg, but I feel that I have an idea what it is like from reading your words. What an amazing experience! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Lucky-1 said...

Ali, the duckings are just little balls of fluff, running on tiny legs:D Very happy with Banjo's hatching of 5 ducklings.

Orange, thanks for dropping in and letting me know you enjoyed reading about the eggs pipping, I hope one day you too will experience this magical moment.