Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Carrot Seeds

Sitting outside at 6 am this morning, I thought I'd better check the carrot flowers again. While away the first 2 flower heads had dried off a fair bit and since being home, its turned more of a brown colour.


Lots of seeds on this head. Going to be interesting to see how many seeds I collect off this flower head alone.




Closer look at one of the carrot seeds that has been released from the flower. I wasn't sure what to expect once the flower started to dry out. Because these seeds are not from a packet bought at a shop, the seeds still have a "beard" around them. This is usually removed before packaged and sold.



Six carrots left to go to seed and maybe 4 too many were left for this seed saving project. I was watching little birds bopping round the flowers this morning, while outside eating breakfast.





With a few seeds now being released from the flower heads, I have picked 2 main flower heads that had turned a brown tinge. Using knee high stockings to cover the flower heads, they were then cut from the plant and the stocking secured with twine.




Hanging outside under the veranda next to the garlic to finish off drying out. Not sure how long this process will take, but I'll keep you posted as time goes by. Going to save a couple more flower heads, just to make sure I have enough seeds for future sowing.

Technorati technorati tags: , , ,

5 comments:

Cosmic said...

I reckon you'll start a carrot farm! But I'm sure your chicken and bunnies will enjoy lots of treats.

cosmic

Kirsty said...

Hi Lucky those knee highs are great I have them all over the place I use them for felting and seed saving!

Lucky-1 said...

Hi Comic:)
Lot of carrot seeds if I was to harvest all those flowers. First time I have even seen a carrot flower. Very pretty.

Those knee highs are about 5 years old and never been worn Kirsty. Knew they'd come in handy some day...lol

ButterflyGirl said...

I let some carrots go to seed a year or two ago, I just let the flowers dry on the plant then cut them and put them upside down in an icecream bucket. One flower has a LOT of seeds, I still have heaps of seeds, also I had carrot plants popping up everywhere, even in the lawn.

Lucky-1 said...

LOL @ the seeds popping up in the lawn. I think I'll have this with my parsley seeds as they are starting to dry off now.

Seed saving is not only fun, it's interesting as well.