Thursday, December 20, 2007

Feeling Blue Like The Sky

Well I was out watering my little vegie patch this morning, as once again we missed out on the rain.

This is becoming such a habit here in Adelaide this last month or so, rain is predicted and it goes east over the boarders.

When I talk to family interstate they see rain predicted on their weather reports for Adelaide and think we are being rained on. So I have to keep telling them the rains didn't come.

For the first time since I put a garden fork into the soil back in 1999, I am disheartened with the garden.

I feel guilty and this upsetting me, because I am not a farmer who's lively hood depends on the crops. I'm a backyard gardener who has this idea that organically grown vegies is not only good for us, the food tastes so much better. I can go down to the local green grocer and buy what I can't harvest, a farmer can't do this.

Yes I am still harvesting food from the vegie patch, though not as much as in past years.

Tomatoes haven't even set fruit yet. I am wondering if it's all the above temperatures we have been having and the flowers haven't set? Or is it the water I have cut back on, with the drought? By this time of the year we are usually eating or about to start eating tomatoes. These tomato plants were planted out only 2 weeks later than other years.

Now I am thinking what to plant now we are back from Sydney. Do I still plant out some summer crops or just wait and plant out winter crops???


What I'd like to still plant for this summer are as follows.....

  • zucchini
  • corn
  • cucumbers
  • bush pumpkins
  • silverbeet
As we have hot weather up until late March.

Other areas, I can get ready for the following season are....

  • broccoli
  • cabbage
  • cauli
  • spinach

Well I feel better for telling you all how I feel this morning. Rain is again forecast for the next couple of days with falls up to 40 mm of rain in some areas. Not holding my breath..... I look so silly with a blue face on a hot and muggy day.

If you are getting rain I am so pleased for you. If not, do like me...... think about it... pick yourself up... dust yourself down and stop holding one's breath.....and get that watering can.

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , , ,

No comments: