Sunday, January 20, 2008

Over My Fence

Earlier this month I had posted I was going to be planting out a late summer crop. Well this has changed as we may be heading back to Sydney in a few weeks. Pat's dad has had major surgery and when he comes out of hospital, we may be needed to help care for him. So I am not planting out anymore vegies for this season. I'll now prepare for a sowing of winter vegies instead.

Other wise things are going the usual here in Luckyland. We are enjoying the antics of the visiting bunnies, including a escape of Jasper (one of the adult bunnies) who was found eating my bean plants the other morning.


Veg Gardener has asked me to post a photo of how much the ducklings have grown. So for you VG here is the latest photo of the now very scruffy looking ducklings. Who I must say aren't very little anymore.


Thinking it's time to pop Twinner back over the boarder fence and get her settled back with the other ducks. Leaving Banjo to keep them company before she too is sent back to the duck run.

Won't be too much longer and these little ducklings will be off to the sale markets.

Also new to the place are the "Blue Rinse Set". Six point of lay Isa Brown hens. Very pleased to say I have them at last. Now that Christmas is a memory once more, I was able to purchase them.

I guess you are wondering why I have called the new hens....."Blue Rinse Set"?



I like to keep track of their ages, so if one was to fall off her perch, I like to know how old she is. Also it helps to I.D. their ages and who might be still young enough to be laying.

So each year I use these leg rings to I.D. them. This year we are using blue and so any chook bought or bred and kept will have a blue leg ring.

In 2005 the leg ring was purple. In 2006, no rings at all.

So by looking at the girls I can tell you I have 3 pensioners and the rest are 1 or 2 years old, or younger.



The "Blue Rinse Set" as you can see, all look alike and in a few months, without those leg bands.....they will blend in with the older Isa Browns.

"B R Set" seem to have settled in well and safety in numbers is a bonus. I have for different reasons introduced a single hen into the flock, usually a single hatching and it can be a chore. Giving them time to settle in I now make sure they are booted out of the nesting area a couple of times a day. To mix with the older hens/Radar and so I know they are eating and drinking.

With the extra hens now, this means more chicken litter waste and today I cleaned out the bedding area. All that waste was added to the compost tumbler and will help to break down the compost.



Lurv slatter bugs and all composting bugs as without them the job would take longer. Oodles of baby slatters in this composting brew. I was suprised after all the heat we had, they are still living in the tumbler. eek

Oh yeah, the lawns are greening up after that 28.5 mm of rain we had the other day. mrgreen

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Matron said...

How long to chickens live? and how long do they keep laying? it seems the intensive battery chooks only live for a year and then they are 'disposed of'?

Lucky-1 said...

My sister has a bantam that is about 10 years old..... Mind you she's a very old hen now and shows it. After ruling the roost for years, she is now lower down the pecking order.

Battery hens are only kept for the 12 months as this is in that time span they lay the most eggs. As it comes down to the might $$$$$.....So at around 18 months of age...battery hens are sold off.

The breeds used for Battery hens are well know for their high laying rate, hence they have a shorter life span.

Pure bred poultry breeds know not for the high egg laying rate do live longer.