Sunday, January 13, 2008

Seed Saving Update

I read that saving lettuce is one of the easiest to cut one's teeth on. If so, why am I wondering if I will do it right or not??

This one has me nervous as I wait to see if I have done things correctly as what is written in my book.


Red loose leaf lettuce flower head. Been a few fluffy flower heads and this is when I am allowed to pull the plant up and enclose the flower head into a paper bag.




The the whole plant is hung upside down to dry out. I read that leaving the whole plant like this, as the plant dies off, it feeds the flower head. Time will tell I guess.


Last of the carrot seeds were harvested and these came to about 16 grams worth. I gave this load of seeds to our good gardening buddy "Pepe" as he has given me lots of little plants for my vegie garden.



The fluffy stuff above the seed is waste from gently rubbing the seeds between my hands. It's that "Beard" waste that surrounds the seed itself. By gently bouncing the dish like I was tossing food in a frying pan (Jamie Oliver does it so well) I was able to separate most of the litter.



Carrot seeds already for popping into a labeled seed envelope and stored in a cool place.

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , , ,

No comments: