Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Where Are My Summer Vegies??

Nine years of gardening I have always had wonderful or above average harvests. Now I am suffering a shocking summer with my summer crops.

Out of 7 tomato plants I have about 4 fruits hanging on a couple of bushes. What a disappointing season and now the plants are starting to die off.

I have put this problem down to the above high temps as the tomato flowers will not set above a certain temp. Also with our trip to Sydney and the possible trip there again.

So I have decided to just walk away from the summer garden plants and get it ready with next seasons crops.

I really do hate summer and I don't use the word "hate" lightly. What gets me through the hot months is the promise of tomatoes, corn, zucchini and other summer crops.

Don't get me wrong I haven't lost my passion for gardening, just common sense has prevailed. Cucumber plant is cropping wonderfully and the climbing beans are growing nicely.

So when a friend phoned me with the promise of enough soft home grown tomatoes for sauce, I jumped at the offer. Having never made tomato sauce before I was very excited when I started to get things ready for the kitchen cooking blitz.

I have made chutney and pickles before with tomatoes, so the sauce was a welcome food source to the cupboards.

You can find photos and the end product on my "garden to plate" blog. Also I have popped a link there as well to take you to the recipe I used to make the sauce.

  • Keep your eye open for boxes of cheap tomatoes selling for cooking. 4.5 kilo of tomatoes makes about 4 litres of rich, tasty sauce and its easy to make. mrgreen

Technorati technorati tags: , , ,

2 comments:

The Duck Herder said...

summer can be tricky - I am still waiting for my brandywines to ripen.......and waiting........

Lucky-1 said...

Well I am going to think of this summer as a once in the blue moon for of season... pick myself up and dust myself off and start with the next season's vegies.:)