Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Eggs, Eggs & More Eggs



Since I started having chooks & ducks I have always kept a tally on what eggs I collect each day. Over the years I have fine tuned it to chooks, bantams & ducks on my excel chart. You will notice a few empty spots...those days I hadn't recorded the eggs for that day and added them on the next day's tally.

This way I know at any given time by looking, which breed is laying and at what time of the year.

Bantams have just come into lay again and so now I am able to use their eggs in salads and hard boil a few and keep in the fridge as a snack.

My excel chart isn't just numbers it's a story of what my garden is doing and how it feeds us from month to month.

Also it allows me to remember not to take the gang for granted and to remember to say thanks for their contribution to our organic eating each day.

At the end of the year I look back and think.... wow... that was a lot of eggs laid. I updated the egg count on my blog this morning and I noticed we are edging closer to the 1000 egg mark. mrgreen

Ducks have about finished their molt and towards the end of winter, they come back on the lay. These eggs are sold as well as used in my kitchen along with the Isa Brown eggs. Little light Sussex bantam eggs are only used in my kitchen.

Now that is a lot of eggs eek

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , ,

2 comments:

molly said...

wow, that's a lot of eggs Lucky. I don't think we give our chooks anywhere near the kudos we should, they feed us in eggs, meat (if you can bear to kill them, I can't), they provide manure for our gardens and they de-bug our yards...not to mention the hours of relaxation when just sitting and watching their antics.

Blessings:)

Lucky-1 said...

I agree 100% with what you wrote Molly:)

With the way food and costs are going....I think chooks will become more popular in the backyard.