Monday, June 09, 2008

Visiting Debbie & Her Family

If you are a long time reader of my blog, you would have come across my sister's name Debbie. She & her family live on a sheep station out from Burra (South Australia) and they are my sheep poo supplier.

This June long weekend Pat, Amy & myself traveled up to see them, as it was their oldest child's 21st birthday. What a great place to have a party.

I'm not going to bore you with family photos but more of the scenery of the kms we traveled to get there and what we saw. So hop in Amy's car (as she drove) and join in.

As much as I love the city life and my little wanna be farm, I so love to visit the outback, where I spent so much of my life. We travels 125 kms out from Burra to reach the station and it was just such a lovely drive.


This photo gives you an idea of the road we traveled. Some areas were not as closed in as what this part was.




Amy's car is a Commodore sedan. Rain had fallen during the week before we traveled up and so Amy was given some tips by her dad on how to drive around these "little" puddles on the road.





Photo is blurry, as we were traveling at the time. Thought it was a great way to show you how thick the scrub can be when keeping an eye out for sheep, emus, wild goats and kangaroos.

While Amy kept her eye on the road Pat & I kept our eyes out for animals that may be hiding in the shrub. Traveling on the dirt road and you hit a kangaroo... it can leave you with a damaged car. That may or may not be able to be driven.



One of the offending animals we keep our eye out for. Isn't he handsome?? Also notice the background, more open and not so many trees. Scenery is alway changing when we travel out to Paul & Deb's place.



Inside the wool shed. Deb & Paul had just under 100 people there and what a sight the wool shed looked like. Never seen a wool shed looking so spiffy in my life. They did a great job decorating it. Friend came up a few days earlier to help them out.



We had a camp oven dinner cooked by Paul and his off siders and it was so yummy. After the food is popped into the camp ovens hot coals are placed on & under the ovens and left to cook the food. This can take a few hours and its worth the wait.




Paul showing us here what he's got cooking inside. The meat was so tender and vegies were spot on as well.



To make it easier for the guests there was a porter loo. For those who didn't want to walk back to the shearing quarters in the dark. My thumb is up, because I wasn't sure when I opened the door......if I'd be still facing the same way. My nephew Dion was rocking the loo, while I was inside. I wasn't sure if he was turning it round so when I opened the door I was facing a different direction.




Some of the sheep in the shearing shed...for the "townies" to see them. Wonder what they thought of us all having a party??




On the way home the next day, we had rain. Love the cloud pattern in this photo.

Seeing rain falling out in the distance is just beautiful. As in the city we can see the rain falling as far as the next building will allow us.

So there you have it, a taste of my other life I treasure so much.

Thank you Deb & Paul for a FAB TAB of a weekend and a chance to help celebrate Josephine's 21st. Ashley (younger brother to Jo) you and your band "rock" thanks for the concert.

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: , , , ,

5 comments:

Steve Bennett said...

Nice work Lucky, I love seeing flat road shots like that! Goodonya!

cheers,
the pm in png.

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks Steve:D

We live in a beautiful country here.

Libbys Blog said...

Its always lovely visiting family, even better when theres a celebration!
Great pics of the ducks,they certainly know how to enjoy themselves!!

Kate said...

Great idea to have the camp oven dinner, and you were a lucky duck to be there! I will put a link to this from my blog too.

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks Libby & Kate:D