Sunday, June 27, 2010

Asparagus & Stuff

I always get excited this time of the year, guessing it may have something to do with the thoughts of fresh asparagus from my garden will be here again soon.





I've been waiting till the spears had died back and with the weather being spot on today for gardening, how could I not get into cleaning up the area.

I think its now been 10 years since we had the order delivered to our front door. I am such a freak for the home grown asparagus, Pat tends to like them in small quantities.


Only thing with asparagus is the little fibers that tend to fall off them when cutting them back. This is a job Pat can not do at anytime for me, sets his asthma off straight way. Took a while and my back was feeling it from bending over.





All cut back and straw raked away to see what was happening just above the ground. Any weeds were removed as well.




Then on top went the annual bag of sheep manure and then a top dressing of some soil went, from the last clean up in the chook run. Now I just have to wait until the spears come.





Tomorrow I am going to dry some parsley and see if there are any new seedlings coming up.

Love parsley and use it heaps. Rabbits also love their fair share, but these 3 bushes are even too much for all of us.




No 11, is looking so fab and I have some apples to go with a few stalks for dessert sometime this week. Then a light feed of worm wee and all should be good.




Pat is turning in our green manure of stinging nettles. Ducks are making great supervisors and enjoying any treats thrown to them. Pat's just taking his time and unlike the old days, he doesn't have an area set out to do, he'll quilt when he's tired. Always another day for gardening.





Pat did this the other week for me. No weeds have come through, so I am thinking it should be good for seeds to be sown. Carrots, radishes and such I am thinking.



Freshly pulled carrots for both kitchen and rabbits.


I love this time of the year in the garden as I can work without loosing a few litres of sweat. Well off to make a cuppa for Pat and see how he's going.

Until next time....hoo roo


Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

The Duck Herder said...

oooh I am planning on doing the same to my asparagus patch soon too!

and my my, look at that lovely #11!

Steve Bennett said...

Was only wondering yesterday if we could establish Asparagus up here? Might get a bit too humid in the wet? Might have to give it a go though...

Lucky-1 said...

Hi Duckie:) The asparagus is a great vegie isn't it:) Thanks for say how lovely #11 is looking too.

Steve, I hope you can get it to grow up your way. Let me know how you get along:)

Savvy Mummy said...

Hi Lucky, I am thinking of planting asparagus as I am freeing more lawn space for planting vege.

How much space does your asparagus patch take? How many 'bulbs?' did you start out with? Are they shaded? How much spears approximately do you get at each harvest?

Wow yours have been around for ten years. Arent they good to have? :)