Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gingernuts

Last week Pat & I went to our poultry supplier and bought 6 new point of lay hens. Due to the fox back a while and the odd drop off from old age, my girls were low in numbers.





The very next day I collected 2 eggs from the "Gingernuts" as I am calling them. The centre egg and the 2 on the right are from the new pullets.

Its so nice not to have to count and watch the eggs. I haven't bought eggs for 11 years now and I am not about to start now.





Couple of photos of the Gingernuts. They have settled in really well and have picked up on all the dos and don't s about staying in the now big run they have. This also makes it easier for the pullets to get away if the pecking order is a bit much for them.



These girls will be living a very relaxed and happy life in my backyard. Feels great and makes me happy when I am out watching the girls, knowing I have a happy spoilt bunch of chooks helping me with my garden and supplying me with beautiful tasting eggs.

Until next time....hoo roo.


Technorati technorati tags: , , ,

3 comments:

Pip at Rest is not idleness said...

Gee, they are quite ginger aren't they. Foxes are the reason I probably won't get chooks, I have seen quite a few in our area and I don't want to risk it. It must be lovely to have a nice supply of fresh eggs like that.

Annemarie said...

Love your new girls, Leanne! Chookies are such a joy to watch. I hope they give you lots of yummy eggs and do well in your happy garden. :) xx

Jilly said...

I love chooks we have 6 and in the spring we will be buying more they are so much fun to watch and I love the fresh eggs yummo!!
Your chook are so pretty!! They are very ginger!!! Their name is cute!
oxoxo